The Nomad Mougulu High School
Providing access to life-long learning and vocational opportunities for students
Project Status: Active
Start Date: 2020
End Date: 2023
Countries: Papua New Guinea
Relevant, high quality, sustainable, & focused education
According to the UNDP, Papua New Guinea (PNG) currently ranks 156 out of 187 countries on the Human Development Index (HDI). In a population of 8.4 million, only 75 percent of children are technically able to attend school and the literacy rate among adults hovers at a mere 50 percent.
Not only that, but according to a Human Rights Watch World Report, approximetly 70 percent of PNG women and girls experience rape or assault in their lifetime, making PNG is one of the most dangerous places in the world to be a woman or girl. The long treks just to reach a school are extremely dangerous. In a region with no easy access to high schools, male and femle students alike must walk up to a week to attend school and live with a different cultural tribal group.
That’s why World Hope International is partnering with the Stirctland Bosavi Foundation to provide a locally-based highschool that is uniquely attentive to local needs and traditional culture. The school will empower youth through access to education and resources and inspire and encourage them to turn around and make a positive contribution back to their community and society.
- To provide relevant, high quality, sustainable and focused education, including life-long learning and vocational opportunities for students.
- To empower the surrounding to be a productive and contributing society.
- Enhanced educational processes and an established staff professional development strategy.
- Remote learning center launched.
- Development of an integrated approach curriculum for students that aligns with PNG educational guidelines and is tailored to the unique needs and circumstances of students and their families.
- Increased literacy and skills of students and community members.
AN ORGANIZATION YOU CAN TRUST.
World Hope International is committed to sound stewardship and using your gift to deliver the most effective, sustainable solutions for alleviating poverty, suffering, and injustice. In the fiscal year 2019, 91% of all expenditures went to program services. In order to use our resources in the most efficient manner possible, we may deem it necessary to redirect your contribution to the greatest need or our general purposes.