Mobile Power Pilot Project
WHI has teamed up with Mobile Power Ltd. to provide clean, affordable energy to off-grid communities in Sierra Leone to help improve livelihoods, reduce carbon emissions and improve health.
Project Status: Active
Start Date: 2016
End Date: Ongoing
Countries: Sierra Leone
In Sierra Leone, 94% of the population does not have access to electricity due to poor infrastructure and unaffordability. Without clean, affordable and reliable electricity, areas like education, health, and communications are negatively impacted.
To address this issue, WHI and Mobile Power Ltd., a small UK start-up, partnered in 2016 to provide clean & affordable energy to the beyond-the-grid population in Sierra Leone. As part of our program, we provide portable battery systems that are powered by solar energy to deliver clean energy at an affordable price. The smart-battery rental system, designed by Mobile Power, is available at local shops and provides users with sufficient clean energy to charge mobile phones and power bright LED lights.
WHI and Mobile Power launched the first Mobile Power Sierra Leone site in 2016 in Pate Bana, a village heavily impacted by the recent Ebola outbreak. The pilot was the first chance to test pricing and customer demand and to make sure the technology and business model would thrive in Sierra Leone. The program provides a low-cost, highly scalable business model with a healthy return on investment for shop owners.
Thanks to this partnership with Mobile Power, WHI is:
- Providing solar-powered lighting and power through smart battery pack technology
- Improving local economic development through opportunities for entrepreneurs and micro-enterprises
- Increasing awareness and utilization of solar energy technology
- The Primary goal is to see renewable energy easily accessible by all rural communities located in off-grid locations Sierra Leone
- Communication with the outside world will be easier, especially in emergencies like using a now charged mobile phone to call for an ambulance
- USB powered electric lights will be available for students to be able to study and do their homework in the evening before bedtime
- Improved health as kerosene lanterns will no longer be used
- Reduced travel time due to improved lighting and communication
- Ability to trade for longer hours. For example, spending additional time at the barbershop and reselling the energy to other users
AN ORGANIZATION YOU CAN TRUST.
World Hope International is committed to sound stewardship and using your gift to deliver the most effective, sustainable solutions for alleviating poverty, suffering, and injustice. In the fiscal year 2018, 87% of all expenditures went to program services. In order to use our resources in the most efficient manner possible, we may deem it necessary to redirect your contribution to the greatest need or our general purposes.